WHO IS LiUNA LOCAL 777
We are the Laborers’ International Union of North America, Local 777. We are an organization that takes great pride in representing the interests of Public Employees throughout Southern California and Arizona. We are more than 10,000 working woman, men and them fighting for better wages, benefits and safer job sites.
As a union member of Liuna! Local 777, you can attend union membership meetings and vote on your contract, which defines your wages and benefits. You are represented in grievances and disciplinary hearings. You also benefit directly from more than a century of combined experience by dedicated and passionate Union Leadership.
We are most proud of:
• Saving thousands of our union members’ jobs from being privatized in Arizona & California
• Negotiating contracts that have resulted in significant gains in the wages, benefits and safety protocols of our union members.
• Creating public employees joint labor-management apprenticeships in the City of Phoenix — including the first Solid Waste Equipment Operation (garbage drivers) Apprenticeship in the nation.
• Through political action, we have jelped elect public officials who support working families in Arizona and California.
Who are we? We are you — your friends — your family.
A Brief History of LiUNA LOCAL 777
Being a member of LIUNA Local 777 honors a heritage that began on April 13, 1903 when courageous workers overcame hostility, threats and violence to join together. With our Rank and File Leaders as the backbone of our Local, we have built a union that effectively represents its members. As a member of LiUNA! Local 777 you also benefit directly from more than a century of combined experience by dedicated and passionate Union Leadership.
What follows is a list of our proudest efforts during the last few years.
• We successfully countered numerous voter initiatives designed to eliminate defined benefit pensions for public employees.
• We actively support legislation to make privatization efforts more difficult.
• We are unwavering in our budget advocacy in Phoenix and Sacramento – fighting on behalf of our union members working in the Courts, Social Services, Transportation, Education, and every other area in which our union members are employed.
• We successfully stopped legislation that would have privatized all of our union members’ jobs in the City of Phoenix.
• Working with our union siblings throughout California, we successfully defeated Proposition 32 which would have silenced the political voice of public employees.
• We successfully lead a campaign to defeat Arizona legislation which would have privatized more than 80% of jobs in cities throughout Arizona.
• We successfully lobbied to save the jobs of Riverside County Transportation employees from being privatized.
• We organized lobby days, during which our members met with individual legislators and testified before committees regarding many issues of concern to the members of LiUNA! Local 777 in Arizona and California.
• We successfully lobbied to have the language in PEPRA (Public Employees’ Pension Reform Act) changed to allow our members in Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Lake Elsinore, and Sierra Madre to continue participating in the LIUNA Industrial Pension Plan.
• We have created three public employee joint labor-management apprenticeships in the City of Phoenix — including the first Solid Waste Equipment Operation (garbage driver) Apprenticeship in the nation.
Who is LiUNA
Laborers International Union of North America (LiUNA!) is a powerhouse of workers who are proud to build the United States and Canada. A half-million strong, we are united through collective bargaining agreements which help us earn family-supporting pay, good benefits and the opportunity for advancement and better lives.
For over a century, LiUNA! has been fighting hard to improve the lives of our union members and their families. The struggle has been difficult and we will not relent. Our successes keep make us stronger and get us closer to our goal of improving everyone’s lives at the workplace. Together we will protect jobs, wages, and benefits and secure the future of our families.
Being a member of LIUNA Local 777 honors a heritage that began on April 13, 1903 when courageous workers overcame hostility, threats and violence to join together. With our Rank and File Leaders as the backbone of our Local, we have built a labor union that effectively represents its members.
Our membership is made up of a wide range of occupations – gardeners to secretaries, garbage drivers to nurses, custodiams to 911 dispatchers, construction laborers to courtroom assistants. It is our diversity that makes us unique – it is where we get our power. As a LiUNA! union member we need you, and we want you to become an active participant in your Union.