Who is LIUNA Local 777?
We are the Laborers' International Union of North America, Local 777. We are an organization that takes great pride in representing the interests of Public Employees throughout Southern California and Arizona. We are more than 12,000 working men and women fighting for better wages, benefits and safer job sites.
As a member of LIUNA Local 777 you are represented in grievances and disciplinary hearings. You can attend membership meetings and vote on your contract, which defines your wages and benefits. Also, you benefit directly from decades of dedicated, motivated Union Leadership.
We are most proud of-
- Repelling effortss to contract out many union members' jobs in California and Arizona
- Negotiating contracts that have resulted in significan gains in the wages and benefits of our members.
- Building respect on the job through effective contract (MOU) enforcement.
- Becoming a politcally active membership that has helped to pass legislation and elect public officials that support working families with our own lobbyist in both Sacramento and Phoenix.
- And, we have been busy building job security by continuing to organize members into Local 777, not more than 12,000 strong.
Who are we? We are you -- your friends -- your family.
A Brief History of LIUNA Local 777
Being a member of LIUNA Local 777 honors a heritage that began on April 13, 1903 when courageous workers overcame hostility, threats and violence to join together. With our Rank and File Leaders as the backbone of our Local, we have built a union that effectively represents its members. As a member of Local 777 you benefit directly from decades of dedicated, motivated Union Leadership.
What follows is a list of our proudest efforts during the last few years.
- We successfully lobbyed to save the jobs of 40 Riverside County Transportation employees.
- We spearheaded the effort to restore money to the Trial Court Trust Fund, which ended Court furloughs staving off massive privatization efforts in the City of Phoenix .
- We stopped legislation that would have eliminated collective bargaining rights for public employees in Arizona.
- We organized an electoral campaign which capped the amount Phoenix City employees could be required to contribute to their pensions.
- We successfully organized the defeat of Proposition 32 which would have silenced the political voice of public employees.
- We successfully countered numerous voter initiatives designed to eliminate defined benefit pensions for public employees.
- We organized numerous lobby days, during which our members met with individual legislators and testified before committees regarding many issues of concern to the members of LIUNA 777.
- We successfully lobbied to have the language in PEPRA (Public Employees' Pension Reform Act) changed to allow our members in Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Lake Elsinore, and Sierra Madre to continue participating in the LIUNA Industrial Pension Plan.
- We continue to pursue collective Bargaining, which would be considered lobbying local legislative bodies (Boards of Supervisors, City Councils, and Special District officials) regarding pay and benefits.
- We are in the midst of efforts to pass legislation making Local 777's Classified School Employees eligible for Unemployment Benefits during the summer months when they are out of work.
- We actively support legislation to make privatization efforts more difficult.
- Our current negotiations with the legislature are blunting new efforts to modify Public Employee pensions.
- We are working to stop the privatization of work currently being done by our members in the Riverside County Dept. of Public Health.
- We are unflagging in our budget advocacy in Sacramento as we fight on behalf of our members working in the Courts, Social Services, Transportation, Education, and every other area in which our members are employed.
Who is LIUNA?
For over a century, LIUNA has been fighting hard to improve the lives of our members and their families. The struggle has been difficult but we cannot relent. Together we can protect jobs, wages, and benefits and secure the future of our families.
Being a member of LIUNA Local 777 honors a heritage that began on April 13, 1903 when courageous workers overcame hostility, threats and violence to join together. With our Rank and File Leaders as the backboon of our Local, we have built a union that effectively represents its members.
Our membership is made up of a wide range of occupations - gardeners to secretaries, food service workers to nurses, custodiams to 911 dispatchers, construction laborers' to courtroom assistants. It is this diversity that makes us unique - it is where we get our power. As a LIUNA member we need you, and we want you to become an active participant in your Union.
Page Last Updated: Sep 10, 2018 (15:19:14)